10.11.2011

Tuesday Morning BCS Run

For the past month or so, I've enjoyed getting together with some fellow Bethlehem College & Seminary (BCS) students and teachers to run, to pray, and to build some good old-fashioned camaraderie. Nothing like an early morning sweat to bind the souls of men together! We meet around 7a and follow a 4-mile route through downtown Minneapolis—along and across the Mississippi River, waking up with the city. There's usually a good bit of animated story-swapping the first couple miles (even frisbee tossing if Kevin shows up!) followed by some fervent prayer for ourselves and the city over the last couple. It's been a double joy to train with these men on Tuesday mornings. As Paul wrote to Timothy: "Have nothing to do with irreverent, silly myths. Rather train yourself for godliness; for while bodily training is of some value, godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come. The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance. For to this end we toil and strive, because we have our hope set on the living God, who is the Savior of all people, especially of those who believe." (1 Timothy 4:7-10)
The running with other people thing has been a new delight for me. Running in community, I guess you could say. Other than tailing my dad growing up, nearly 100% of my lifetime mileage has been of the solo variety. Part of the reason is pragmatic—aligning schedules with another is difficult. But, if I'm honest, I also prefer the solitude. I look to pen (well, type) more about this in the future, but I do think running—distance running, in particular—affords unique reflection opportunities in our day and age. Sustained contemplation is not easy in a world that places high value on multi-tasking and minimal sleep.

Even so, these BCS runs have got me thinking, and re-thinking, the beneficial role of community for "bodily" training.

I'm not sure how long the white stuff will stay in Canada, so I decided that today was as good a day as any to document the glories of recent Tuesdays. I guess it would also be accurate to call it an attempt to persevere a warm memory for the cold months ahead...

Outside the front door: Gadsby & Gnag (the Nameless One), faithful morning greeters.
Good morning, Minneapolis!
Minneapolis basking in the sun's rising.
Tom (Greek ninja & recent Twin Cities Marathon finisher) with Justin, Marcus & little Benaiah (pre-run).
Justin, stretching it out (pre-run).
Running life in the city.
No amount of Frogger prepares you for the life and death decisions that accompany the 7am, crusty-eyed city runner.
To go, or not to go...
Given that real life comes with no extra lives, we (reluctantly) waited.
My attempt at an action shot. I imagine this is a realistic, "on-the-run" perspective.
I also imagine (see both red lights warnings) this to be the perspective of a runner experiencing road-kill.
Frogger...fail. (Sorry Mommy, we're careful, promise!)
The bridge over to Nicollet Island.
Cruising across the Stone Arch Bridge back toward downtown (where we start praying together).
The finish, after a 1/4-mile sprint.

No comments: