10.28.2011

A New Route and a New Friend

The "North Star" of the park. Twisty trails
make it easy to get turned around, but this
water tower was a reliable guide. 
Even though my tendency is to greet change as one would an asparagus milkshake, I cannot deny the invigorating effect that variety often has on the overall running experience. Just like your arm writing the same sentence 50 times in a row on the chalkboard ("I will not throw food in the cafeteria without first asking permission"), I've found that the human body gets bored rather quickly with running sameness—the same routes, on the same days, at the same times, at the same pace, the same routes, on the same days, at the same times, at the same pace...

Some sameness is inevitable though; there's only so much the front door (and schedule) can offer. But even so, I still try to pursue variety whenever possible—whether it's reversing a normal route, pioneering a new one, finding a mountain on the weekend, changing up the pace every once in a while, alternating long and short days, etc.

Or, sometimes life just takes you to a new front door and you just walk outside and explore! For the next week or so, Ashley and I are house-sitting for some friends in the Twin Cities.

Hello, variety:

Salem Park / Harmon Park

Some of the trail highlights:


Some other views worth remembering:

Some bridge variety.
Ball of fire through the clouds...it's always a pinch myself experience when I can gaze at the sun directly, more or less.
Wasn't quite sure what these were. In general, when possible, I snap pictures of such objects.
Trail windiness.
#5.
Along with house-sitting, we are also dog-sitting. Hello, new friend:

 Meet AJ--"Andrew Jackson"
AJ on the trail. Sniffing became his way of asking for a rest break. I thought we may be
able to go 4 miles together, but we called it after a couple. It was enough for us both.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

AJ looks like a whimpy wind up toy

dad in georgia

Chris said...

Ha, I don't know if 'wimpy' fits his build of 50-lbs of muscle! But he does have that ready for showtime look about him. Perhaps, a little bit too put together...

I thought he did pretty well on the run though, all things considered. I think I may be the one, as a novice dog owner, that had unrealistic expectations of his endurance level. A couple thoughts as to why:

1) History--I think he more often goes walking than running when we're not here. Not that he's necessarily out of shape, but probably just untrained for distance running.
2) DNA--I think his Airedale Terrier instincts generally work against steady, continuous motion in the same direction. They are sniffers and seekers. Running is definitely the means to the greater ends of birds and squirrels (pun, intended). I learned quickly to run to the side of him. Can't imagine what worlds of smell exist to explore for canines. Best to not be in the way.

I guess I didn't mention this in the post, but I ran a couple laps (8 mi) solo before going back to pick him up. I'll probably stick with that technique next time.

-Chris