"If you come across an area of the trail that looks unsafe, it probably is." --Kris Glesener, RD
Well, what a day! To say that the 2013 Minnesota Voyageur lived up to its pre-race expectations would be an understatement . . .
A Chilly Start
Minnesota's "oldest trail ultra" felt older, more casual, and more low-key than I expected. I imagine this was due to its off-the-beaten path location in Carlton. Of all the races I've done in Minnesota, the Voyageur is the first one to really capture the feel of the town. With a population listed at 862, the race itself probably increased the size by 50% (including runners, families, volunteers). But, without really altering town life in any way. The pre-race dinner on Friday night was at a sports complex "downtown" and we even shared the space with a 5k also happening that night:
| Start of the Carlton Daze 5k (Noted for next year: I can do the 50-mile and Ashley can do the 5k!) |
![]() |
| Flannel in mid-July! I agree with Sam though, life is good . . . |
Then, speaking of low-key, the next morning we congregated outside the local high school in Carlton for the start—which was basically just a spot in the middle of the road:
| Final instructions from Kris, our RD: "If you come across a section of trail that looks unsafe, it probably is." |
| It's go time. Think I'm trying to make a last minute decision about whether I should go with the long sleeve shirt. +46F at the start! |
Ready, set, go . . .
A Rugged Trail
And Kris was right . . . after kindly allowing us about a half-mile to wake up on the road, we hung a right and the trail ruggedness began!
The first 2.9-mile section up to AS#1 was full of rocks and roots—the kind of rocks that are big enough to make you feel slightly anxious hopping on top of, and the kind of roots that make it difficult for your feet to find space between! This part of the course cruised right alongside the beautiful St. Croix River, but the irony was that if you took your eyes off the trail to enjoy it too long you might end up going for a swim! I remember thinking, "Man, this section will be fun on the way back when the legs are a little stiffer!"
![]() |
| The Powerlines |
![]() |
| Cresting atop of one of the Powerline hills, trying to hang tough! |
![]() |
| Ashley & Sam, the best crew out there! |
| Fueling up at Peterson's AS#4 (mile 33.7), hosted by UMTR. Starting to feel it a little in the legs after having come through the Powerlines for the second time. This was probably the slowest split for me on the day, but understandable given the wet footing on Powerlines and the fact that I dropped all my gels somewhere along the way. Thought it'd be best to play it conservative. I was really happy with my nutrition on the day though, just kept refueling with water and downing anything at the AS that looked good (peanut butter sandwiches, trail mix, bananas, etc.). |
![]() |
| Heading out of Peterson's with one last peak at Ashley & Sam! |
A Smooth Finish
And just as casually as the race began, so it ended with me crossing (roughly) that same spot in the middle of the road outside of Carlton High School 8 hours, 50 minutes, and 4 seconds after I began—good enough for 21st overall.
![]() |
| The finisher's mug, from which I'm fittingly drinking as I write this report! Glad we didn't need to do any rafting to make it to the finish though . . . |
All in all, a great run that I'd love to return to next summer. Like most good things that age, I'm sure the Voyageur will only keep getting better with time!
Additional write-up about the race:










2 comments:
Favorite pic: you in the flannel with Sam.
Least favorite: you behind the guy with the nipple piercings.
I like the one of you & Sam bundled up together. And the one where I'm sneaking one last peak of you before hitting the trail again coming out of Peterson's - clutch camera!
Post a Comment